The Miracle Hunter  
   
HOME MIRACLES DISCERNMENT BOOKS RADIO TV SOCIAL CONTACT
 
   
 

Miraculous Icons (1700 - 1799 A.D.)

History
40 - 999 1400 - 1499
1000 - 1099 1500 - 1599
1100 - 1199 1600 - 1699
1200 - 1299 1700 - 1799
1300 - 1399 1800 - 1899


1700?

Cotoca, Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Title: Virgen de Cotoca
Witness: Two loggers
Feast: August 15

The exact origin of the image of the Virgin of Cotoca is unknown, as in many other cases, the popular imagination has become legend. Many legends are known about this Virgin, though the best known account when two loggers were preparing to cut a majestic and rugged tree trunk found in the middle of the image of the Virgin Mary .

Cotoca probably began as a hamlet formed spontaneously by farmers who inhabited the grasslands of the area, where as white dots in the middle of the plains are small villages and hamlets as Paurito, Pailas Tarope and others. Cotoca was forced pascana past travelers to the Chiquitanía and Brazil and was very near the place where he moved for the second time the city of Santa Cruz, "the Old". It was populated by blacks and mulattoes, who worked as slaves on the neighboring farms, they being the majority of the population until well into the nineteenth century.

Mural depicting the legend of the appearance of the image of the Virgin of Cotoca, built by sculptor Miguel Germán García Miranda .

There are several legends that explain the appearance of the Virgin of Cotoca. One of the most popular pen know by Achilles Gomez, who relates that slaves unjustly accused by his employer, a Mr. Cortez-of murdering a farmer, fled to the neighboring mountains of Azuzaquí, and while resting found the image of the Virgin, hidden in the hollow of a tree trunk. The fugitive family, surnamed Barroso, prayed that the Virgin's help, miracle that occurred in the village to discover the true murderers.

The image was installed in the Barroso rustic house in the north of the present town, and there was little shrines revered by friends and strangers. At death Dona Elvira Barroso, the son and the widow gave the image to a rich farmer, Redeemer Manuel Roca, who built the first wake. "It is in this way they built the sanctuary of the virgin, of bricks and roof covered with palm channels, on the grounds of Redeemer Don Rock, which at that time occupied the South path relative to the town square. Here on the same site and the years passed, the family of the landowner, built the second oratorio, higher capacity and larger front where hundreds of promesantes came to seek solace and partly to thank for the endless concessions granted miracles by Mommy ".

Source: Wikipedia

1703

Murnau (Germany)

Title: Sorrowful Mother of God (Crying statue)

A statue of the Sorrowful Mother of God was seen repeatedly in tears. The Bishop of Augsburg confirmed this supernatural phenomenon after checking the veracity of the testimony and approved special devotional worship.

Source: HIerzenberger 1997 p 176

July 5, 1708

Thyrnau (SLOVAKIA)

Crying and sweating icon

The icon of Mary in the sanctuary of Thyrnau, during the plague, and tears began to sweat visibly. These phenomena were investigated by church authorities and carefully confirmed by thirty witnesses who saw the tears on the following dates: July 5, August 10 and 1, 1708. On the hundredth anniversary of the event, a copy of the portrait was the famous icon which is located in the church of St. Alexis in Rome. This icon was brought from Edessa, Syria, and Rome was known since the fourth century for the many miraculous events related to it. According to legend, the young Alexius, son of the patrician Eufemiano, was arranged by his parents to marry. The night before the wedding, he escaped and reached Edessa, where he lived for 17 years dedicating himself to God alone return to Rome, could be accommodated from his parents without revealing his true identity. He died leaving signs of great holiness. Only after his death, Alexius of Edessa was venerated as a saint, the church of St. Boniface on the Aventine was dedicated to him in the year 978.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 1708

November 18, 1709

Zulia (Venezuela)

Title: Our Lady of Chiquinquira / La Chinita (Miraculous Image)
Visionaries: Maria Cárdenas

An old lady named Maria Cárdenas made a living by washing other people's clothes, a job she did every morning at the shores o f the lake. On November 18, 1709 she took a bulk of clothes, and as usual, went to the lake to start washing them. This old lady was at her chores when she saw a small wooden slab floating towards her. She picked it up thinking that it might be of some use.

When Cárdenas finished her work, she went home carrying the clothes, the wooden slab and a small vase with fresh water. She then placed the board on top of the vase, before noticing a small figure in the board but could not tell what it was. Feeling curious about this, she went directly to see what was happening and found the slab glowing with a bright light to later find the image of the Virgin of Chiquinquirá.

Surprised and filled with a strong emotion, Cárdenas immediately ran out of her house located on the 2nd avenue, screaming and shouting the words “Miracle! Miracle!” Her neighbors went where the woman was to find out that the apparition of the Virgin Mary was real. From that day on, the faith of the Zulians found their Queen in the “Chinita”. As it has been expressed by many people, “She is the way that leads to Jesus”.

Since that day the street where Cárdenas lived was renamed "El Milagro" which means Miracle in Spanish, and to this day it is one of the most important streets in the neighborhood of "El Saladillo" in the city of Maracaibo. To this day the wooden slab with the image on it can still be seen in the Basilica in Maracaibo.

Legend has it that the government decided that the wood with the image belonged in the capital city, Caracas. So they ordered it moved. As the soldiers following the order carried the image away from Maracaibo it got heavier and heavier until finally no one could lift it. They returned it to the Basilica of Maracaibo where it has remained with the belief that no one can remove it.


Source: latheotokos.it

1715

Szent-ANTAL (HUNGARY)

Bleeding icon

In the Franciscan church of Szent-Antal, a portrait of Mary began to weep blood of emergency. The offices of the church, after careful examination of the phenomenon, agreed in 1716 the public worship of this Marian image.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 180

January 1717

SAJOPALFALVA (HUNGARY)

Bleeding Icon

During the months of January and February, a portrait of the Virgin Mary placed in the church of Sajópàlfalva was seen weeping blood. The Bishop of Eger examined the supernatural phenomenon and, declaring its authenticity, gave his approval to this image of the Virgin Mary which became a special object of devotion.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 180

October 1717

Sao Paulo (Brazil)

Title: Our Lady of Apparecida ("Our Lady who Appeared" - statue)
Visionaries:
Domingos Garcia, Joco Alves, and Felipe Pedroso (three fishermen)
Feast Day: October 12

In October of 1717, Dom Pedro de Almedida, Count of Assumar, was on his way to the state of Minas Gerais from Sao Paulo. He would have to pass by Guarantinqueta, a small city in the Paraiba River valley. The people of Guarantinqueta decided to hold a great feast to honor the Count, and a lot of fish would be needed.

However, it was not the season for fish and the water seemed deserted. After many hours of catching nothing, the fishermen were very depressed. Among the fishermen were three men who always prayed to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception -- Domingos Garcia, Joco Alves, and Felipe Pedroso. Before going out to fish, they asked God to help then in this difficult task, to find enough fish at this time when no fish were available. Felipe knelt and prayed, along with his companions, "Mother of God and our Mother, we need to find fish!"

Just before they were ready to give up, Joco cast his net one more time near the Port of Itaguagu in hopes that they would find fish. However, they found a body of a statue! Joco called out in surprise, "Domingo! Felipe! Come and see what we have!" They cast the net one more time and brought up the head of the statue!

They very carefully washed the statue and saw that it was Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. They wrapped her in some cloths and continued to fish. Domingo commented, "We worked all night and have found no fish!"

Felipe had a proposition: "Let's continue to fish with faith in the Virgin Aparecida (who appeared)." From this moment on, the net became very full with fish. This was the first miracle of Our Lady of Aparecida.

It is not known how the small (less than three feet high) statue came to rest at the bottom of the river, but its artist is known, Frei Agostino de Jesus, a "carioca'' monk from Sao Paulo who created artistic clay sculptures.The image was made around 1650 and must have stayed submerged in the river for many years because it lost its original polychromy. The image is now a brilliant dark brown color, and is covered by a stiff mantle of richly embroidered thick cloth, allowing only her face and hands to be seen. She wears on her head the imperial crown with precious stones with which she was crowned by the Apostolic Nuncio in 1904. In 1930 Pope Pius XII proclaimed her principal patroness of Brazil.

Her feast on October 12 is a national holiday. Pope John Paul II visited the Virgin "Aparecida" in her much frequented sanctuary and gave it the title of Basilica. A few days before the visit someone got hold of the statue and threw it forcibly on the floor. Although the frail image was broken into many pieces, the loving and careful work of several artists put it together again and the Virgin, "Aparecida" returned to her niche in the Basilica.

See also Hierzenberger 1997 pp 180-181


1721

Bad Rippoldsau (GERMANY)

Title: Mother of Sorrows (animated painting)
Witness: A mother

The mother of a blind girl petitioned the Virgin for healing her daughter. The devout woman knelt before a painting of the Pietà for seven consecutive days. The Most Holy Virgin moved with pity "came down from the portrait" and healed the girl. In the fourteenth century, more than two hundred prayers were answered In front of the Pieta, and there were many miraculous healings. In particular, the "Mother of Sorrows" healed sores, fever, gout, rheumatism and teeth.

Source: hierzenberger 1997 pp 181

1722

Persquen (Morbihan, Diocese of Vannes)

A chapel was built. Each August 1, a "pardon" (with Mass and procession) attracts hundreds of devotees.

Source: Patrick Sbalchiero "PERSQUEN" in: René LAURENTIN and Patrick Sbalchiero, Encyclopedic Dictionary of the apparitions of the Virgin, Fayard, Paris, 2007.

July 9, 1722

Maserada Sul Piave, Treviso, Veneto, Italy

Title: Madonna delle Vittorie (Madonna of Victories)

Not far from the parish, following avenue Caccianiga, we find the small temple dedicated to Our Lady of Victories. It was erected in 1717 by the Venetian doge Carlo Ruzzini right next to his villa in the countryside. Inside the noble took place an image, that is a copy of the one in the church of St. Stephen in Vienna, which presents the Holy Virgin with her Child. Popular legend attributes to this icon miracles after the apparition of the Madonna to a fancuilla called Zanetta Bariviera in July of 1722. The date of appearance is still remembered today thanks to solemn ceremonies. In the second centenary of the foundation of the temple that fell in 1917 Bishop Longhin, bishop of Treviso, solemnly he crowned the sacred icon that was brought in different cities of the Veneto after the days of Caporetto. It returned to the country on July 6, 1919, drawn by four horses, with the trophies of victory.


1726

BARWEILER (GERMANY)

Miraculous Statue

A group of girls adorned the church of Barweiler with flowers of lilies and placed some in the hand of the statue of Mary (Cornonated with the Child). These flowers, now withered, in September, returned to green petals and appeared just like fresh crops. The following year, the phenomenon was repeated. On the initiative of the Bishop of Trier, the case was carefully examined and confirmed it was of supernatural origin. The miraculous statue was closed in a reliquary with two bolts.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 181

1727

GLOSBERG (GERMANY)

Bleeding Statue

A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary in late Gothic style, which from the beginning of the sixteenth century had been the object of veneration and devotional pilgrimage began to weep blood. This miraculous phenomenon was repeated three times. At first, the Ordinary of Bamberg forbade the pilgrimage then, under the insistent pressure of the multitudes of the faithful, he entrusted the care of pilgrims to the Franciscans.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 181

1730

MARIA STEINBACH, Memmingen (Germany)

Title: Our Lady of Maria Steinbach (miraculous statue)

A statue of Mary in the ancient sanctuary of Allgäu began to cry, changed the color of the face and moves the pupils. Many also noted that the church, without any human intervention, it was often illuminated by a mysterious light. After a careful examination of the Ordinary of Augsburg recognized as a true the unexplained phenomenon of the eye movement. The miracle was attested by 71 witnesses.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 183

1740

MARIAKAMEND (HUNGARY)

Miraculous statue

Five girls saw a statue of Holy Mary in a cave. The wanted to make, but it could not be removed from that place. Also called a friend for help and when they repeated the attempt, the "statue" suddenly disappeared. The girls informed the ecclesiastical authority of the appearance, after reviewing the incident, in that place he built a small chapel in memory of the event.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 183

September 21, 1745

Bruchhausen (GERMANY)

Title: Our Lady Refuge of Sinners (Crying Statue)

A wooden statue of 70 cm (representing Mary with the Christ Child) was kept in a closet behind the altar of the church of Bruchhausen. It was shown to the public only when it was worn by the girls in the sacramental processions. At the feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, in 1745 the statue was exhibited to the faithful; September 21 it began to weep. So there documenting the record of the time: "From both eyes saw drops fall like crystal, even for the substance to human tears." It was shown in the evaluation report of the phenomenon that until March 16, 1746, the statue was repeatedly tearing. More than one hundred eminent personalities confirmed the authenticity of the miraculous event, first and foremost, the archbishop of Cologne, Elector Clemens August, who worked for the statue to be prepared to become the object of devotional worship. The miraculous statue it is still revered as "Our Lady Refuge of Sinners."

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 183

May 1745

CELLDÚMULK (HUNGARY)

Title: Our Lady of Mariazell (animated statue)
Witness: parish priest

The parish priest of the time, Janos Zichi, and over one hundred faithful saw the statue of Our Lady (a copy of the statue of Mariazell) come alive. Before this statue also arose many clearmiracles.

Source: HIerzenberger 1997 p 184

January 1747

Suyapa (Honduras)

Title: Our Lady of the Conception of Suyapa (statue)
Visionary: Alejandro Colindres, and Lorenzo Martinez (8)

The tiny image of Our Lady of the Conception of Suyapa was found by a humble young peasant on a Saturday in January 1747. Alejandro Colindres, and Lorenzo Martinez, an eight-year-old boy, were returning to the village of Suyapa, tired from working all day gathering corn. They were half way there when night fell as they reached the Piligüín ravine. This seemed to them like a good place to spend the night and they lay down on the hard ground. Right away Alejandro felt that something, apparently a stone, was preventing his finding a comfortable position for his back. In the dark, he picked it up and threw it far away. Strangely enough, on lying down again he felt the same discomfort, but--intrigued--this time he did not throw it, instead he put it away in his knapsack. At day break he discovered that the mysterious object was a charming small image of Our Lady carved in cedar wood.

Our Lady of Suyapa measures only six and a half centimeters. It is a very old carving, probably the work done with devotion by an amateur artist. Her angelic looks reflect the nobility of the native race. It is a dark image with an oval face and shoulder length straight hair: her tiny hands are joined together in a prayerful attitude. The original painted color of her robe is light pink, which now can be seen slightly, covered by a dark cloak trimmed with golden stars and adorned with valuable jewels. The object of great veneration on the part of the Honduran people, the image rests on a solid silver sphere, and appears surrounded by a circle of silver rays, which evoke 'the woman dressed by the sun' mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

In 1925, Pius XI declared Our Lady of Suyapa patroness of the Republic of Honduras, and February 3 was chosen as her feast day with proper Mass and office. The first shrine was blessed in 1780 and the first notable attested miracle, occurred in 1796. The present enormous church, with space for the multitude of pilgrims who visit Suyapa, was visited by John Paul II in 1983. In the land of the poor, this sanctuary of Santa Maria de Suyapa is located in one of the humblest parts of the city.

Source: http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/engfour.html#hon

Oct 1753

GIMIGLIANO (Italy)

Visionary: Pietro Gatto
Title: Madonna di Porto

1754

Guaitara Canyon (Colombia)

Title: Our Lady of Las Lajas
Visionary:
Juana Maria Mueses de Quiñones

Juana Maria Mueses de Quiñones and her daughter Rosa, a deaf-mute from birth, were resting in a grotto, Guaitara near the river, between Ipiales and Potosi, near the equator. Rosa suddenly starts shouting: "Mama, look at this dark women with a little baby in its arms!" Her Mother did not see anything.

A few days later, Rosa knelt at the bottom of the grotto in front of a 'mysterious image of the Virgin and Child dressed with a pink robe with golden flowers and a white mantle decorated with stars, standing around 1.40 m high, painted on a flat stone. The Madonna holds a rosary in her right hand that she presents to St. Dominic who is kneeling at her right. Jesus gives a cord to St Francis who kneels on the left of Our Lady. Rays of light encircle the Mother and Child. According to an unknown source, Rosa, who died shortly thereafter, would be resurrected. On September 15th, 1754, a mass was celebrated at that place. On September 16, 1952, the image was solemly crowned.

Source: Mathiot, 106-107

April 19, 1759

MARIABESUYÚ (HUNGARY)

Visionary: John Fiedler (mason)

On the site where once stood a church of the Premonstratensian XII century, a new church was to be built in the eighteenth century. On the night of April 19, 1759 the mason John Fiedler had a dream: Mary predicted that the next day in the ruins of the collapsed church, exactly where the altar was, he would find something valuable. She also commanded the builder to put it on the newfound new altar so everyone could see. The next day the mason discovered the place indicated in the dream, a statue of ivory top 11 cm of the Mother of God, a masterpiece of the fourteenth century. The Cardinal Migazzi confirmed the discovery of the miraculous statue. After the discovery of the sacred statue, a new church was built and pilgrims began to flock in large numbers. Mariabesny÷ still is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Hungary.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 184

1769

Melchtal (Switzerland)

Witness: a chaplain Traxler

Miraculous statue

Source: HIerzenberger 1997 p 185

1779

Bocca Pignone di Ripalta (Italy)

Title: Madonna della Ghianda (Madonnna of the Chestnuts)
Visionary:
Domenico Malatesta

In 1778 and again the following year, the Virgin Mary appeared on a branch of a chestnut tree in Mouth pinion Ripalta, in the province of La Spezia, to three shepherd children near the ruins of a church of the twelfth century. The following days, other people have also seen the Blessed Virgin in the same place. The messages point to the need of humanity's conversion, the practice of the sacraments, meditation on the S. Scripture. The image of "Our Lady of the Chestnut" is very popular among believers in the region. According to some historical sources, it would, however, the representation of another Marian apparition took place in the late Middle Ages.

Source: http://www.latheotokos.it

1779

Sarov (Russia)

Visionary: St. Seraphim of Sarov

1783 - 1824

Dulmen, Westphalia (Germany)

Visionary: St. Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774 - 1824)

 

BORDEAUX (FRANCE)

Visionary: Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade (1761-1850)

Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade (1761-1850) refused to swear allegiance to the constitution of the French Revolution, and for this he had to hide out in Bordeaux. In this city, the Holy Virgin appeared to him several times and delivered him from the danger of being discovered by soldiers. In 1797 he was exiled to Zaragoza and on his return home he founded the religious Order of the Marianists (SM) or brothers and sisters of Mary. The Order is dedicated to education (even universities in the U.S.). The basic rule of the Order is the consecration and devotion to Mary. Priests and lay people in the congregation have the same rights.

 

DOROSZLO (HUNGARY)

Visionary: Janos Zavloczki (blind man)

Janos Zavloczki was a devotee to the cult of Mary. One day he had an accident and became blind. The Blessed Virgin appeared to him and advised him to wash his eyes in a miraculous fountain. The fervent Christian, animated by the hope of being freed from this infirmity, immediately followed the indication of Mary and was healed. The news of the miracle spread quickly and caused a great sensation. First, a chapel was built then, given the large number of pilgrims, a church was erected.

1790

Matemblewo (Poland)

Miraculous Image
Witness:
Rosina Puechner (18)

During the winter of 1790, the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to a man from Matemblewo, in the diocese of Gdansk, while walking alone in a forest, near an ancient church built in honor of the Mother of God. The message of Our Lady drew on the themes of peace, penance and prayer. Although historical records exist, it seems that the church authorities have not formally investigated this event.

Source: latheotokos.it

 

DOROSZLO (HUNGARY)

Visionary: Janos Zavloczki (blind man)

In 1792, the Virgin Mary healed Janos Zavloczki blind. A chapel was built on the site of the apparition.
Patrick Sbalchiero article "DOROSZLO" in: Dictionnaire encyclopédique des apparitions de la Vierge. Inventaire des origines à nos jours. Méthodologie, prosopopée, approche interdisciplinaire, Fayard, Paris

January 17, 1797

ABSAM (AUSTRIA)

Miraculous Image
Witness:
Rosina Puechner (18)

On January 17, 1797, a teenager, Rosina Puechner saw the glass of his window, an image of the Holy Virgin. After having contemplated for about an hour, Rosina rubbed the glass with the intent to remove it but it was impossible to erase. The phenomenon was carefully examined by an ecclesiastical commission, and finally was declared miraculous. The glass of the window with the image of Mary was brought into the church and remains exposed Absam before the pilgrims as a devotional object of particular devotion to Mary. The church was then called Maria Absam Sanctuary.

Source: Hierzenberger 1997 p 186

1798

LaVang (Vietnam)

Title: Our Lady of LaVang
Visionary:
Villagers Quang Tri

Many Christians took refuge in the jungle near Quang Tri where they prepared themselves for martyrdom. Many people died from the weather, wildlife, sickness and starvation. One night while praying the rosary they were visited by an apparition of Our Blessed Mother dressed in pure white light holding a child in her arms, with two angels at her sides. She comforted them and told them to boil the leaves from the surrounding trees to use as medicine. She also told them that all those who came to this place to pray, would get their prayers heard and answered: "My children you begged and implored me in my name, I will preserve you from all dangers, and will I hear anyone here who prays."
All those who were present, including Buddhists, witnessed this miracle.

More about this apparition >>


 
   
facebooktwitterrssyoutube Contact The Miracle Hunter
MIRACLES DISCERNMENT

BOOKS

RADIO

TV

SOCIAL

CONTACT
s
© Copyright 2015, MiracleHunter.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy > Legal >

MiracleHunter.com is the best resource for miracles on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.